Sunday, September 28, 2008

"Woo Pig... Huh???"

Well, it's that time of year again... Football season. When I married Ryan I really didn't know what I was getting into in terms of fan base. Growing up, I was not a football fan at all. I really couldn't have cared less. I remember one day at my apartment when Ryan and I were newly dating. We were standing in the kitchen. Ryan was talking mildly about football and how he "liked" it. And then he did something that I had never seen anyone do before. He started making this noise like "A-whoooooooooo" while slowly raising his hands up and fluttering his fingures. He then tucked his elbows into his ribs, then raises a fist over his head and yelled "PIG SWOOIE!!! RAZORBACKS!!!" He did this 3 times. I started to laugh, thinking he was kidding. Really, he had to have been joking; I mean, what the heck is "pig swooie" and why would you yell it out like that? He then explained that that was the offical Razorback call. I then asked "what is a Razorback?" And hence was the begining of my Arkansas Razorback (which are big mean pigs, I later came to find out) Football.
So I go along with it. This "pig swooie" thing. However, after moving to Arkansas 2 year ago is when it really sank in. My brother-in-law even gave me an Arkansas T-shirt that just said "HOGS" across the front. Huh??? HOGS? I had never worn a shirt that just had a name of an animal across the front. Let alone a dirty ole' scavanger animal like a pig, oh sorry, I mean a hog. But again, trying to be accepted and "Russ-ified", I went along with it.
I am now into my 3rd Arkansas Razorback Football season. They have me wearing the shirts and I even know a few of the player's names. I am sure my new sister-in-law, Janaye, who was not a big football person prior to marriage either, would agree, that in order to be accepted and loved in the Russ family you must cheer, root, pray for, and support the Razorbacks. Ok, ok, maybe they will still love us if we don't do the above... but if you want to eat at the Russ' house the day of a game, you better be wearing red.
Here is my "Hog" family. I have to admit though... it IS a whole lot of fun!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Marty said...

HAHAHHA! Great description of Ryan doing the Pig Sooey call. I could hear it and see him doing it. Ah, men and their football teams. Hogs there; cowbells here.

Miranda Comer said...

That's us! I'm working on MJ now!

abbiegrace said...

Woo pig sooie!!