Below is a letter I wrote to one of our local TV stations. I plan on mailing it once a week for 4 weeks. Why? Because I can, and I should. I think we forget that we have a voice and just assume that it won't be heard. We make up the silent majority of conservative Christians out there who's, most of the time, voice is drowned out by the liberal and God-forsaken media. But, what if we all wrote a letter like this and mailed if for 4 weeks... we wouldn't such a silent majority then would we?
So now, I present my, soon to be crumpled up and thrown in the trash can at the TV station, drop in the ocean:
Dear local Fox 16 Network:
My name is Emily Russ. I am 26 years old and am a faithful viewer and a diehard fan of many of your Fox 16 television shows, including American Idol (Go Kris Allen!) I enjoyed the enthusiasm Fox 16 put forth regarding Kris, and all your support. Thank you for doing such a great job!
The reason I am writing is so you can hear from your viewers. I trust you value our ideas and viewpoints. While watching American Idol a few weeks ago, a commercial for Hulu came on. This particular commercial features Denis Leary. In the commercial, a naked appearing Denis falls on a girl who is only wearing a bra and her knees are wrapped him. Denis smiles at the camera while the girl is apparently clueless of the onlookers. I noted the time of this commercial during the family show, American Idol; it was 7:30pm.
I know children who watch American Idol at 7:30pm. The Hulu commercial may not have been blatantly showing a “sex scene”, but to a child, those images communicate sex! These images are inappropriate for a family show airing at 7:30pm when children are watching. I, unlike a child, am able to filter the images I see. However, I was greatly offended that Fox 16 chose to air this commercial at such a family viewing hour!
“Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 1464, prohibits the utterance of “any obscene, indecent or profane language by means of radio/television communication.” Consistent with a subsequent statute and court case, the Federal Communication Commission's rules prohibit the broadcast of indecent material during the period of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.”
The following are 2 of the 3 conditions, set by the FCC’s standard, to measure what is obscene:”(1) an average person, applying contemporary community standards, must find that the material, as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest (i.e., material having a tendency to excite lustful thoughts); (2) the material must depict or describe, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct.” And finally, the following is a means of concluding if the content is indecent: “Material is indecent if, in context, it depicts or describes sexual activities in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards.”
Being a person in the contemporary community, I found the Hulu commercial patently offensive, especially since it was aired during the family show, American Idol at 7:30pm.
Being a valued and faithful viewer of Fox 16, I would greatly appreciate a response from your station. I can be contacted at the above address or phone number.
Thank you for your time and consideration regarding my concerns.
And to the actual person reading this: I am greatly grieved by our media today and its lack of morality and sanctity of sex. I know that my little voice is only a drop in the bucket, but I believe it is my duty, as yours, to be that voice and stand for what is moral and right.
Sincerely,
Emily Russ
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey, look who's getting all political! :)
I'm anxious to see if they write back. Lee Ann and I saw that commercial, too, and one of us remarked that it was mighty early in the night for that sort of thing to be on...
I'm no prude, but WOW. That was over-the-line, wasn't it? :(
Nice! You really did your research. I'm impressed!
Em, that's such a great letter!!! I WISH I had the guts and the knowledge to write a letter like that. That's awesome. I can't wait to hear if you get a response. Very impressive. (the letter, not that they showed that nasty commercial).
Post a Comment