Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Follow Up... Guess my tiny drop was heard.
General Manager, Chuck Spohn, from the local Fox 16 called me today. I was surprised to say the least. Nice man. Very respectful. I was caught off guard b/c I expected to have to send all 4 of my letters, but he responded to the first one! He said he had read my letter several times and he even contacted his supervisor at the national Fox network to check his facts before calling me. He said that he does not take letters like mine lightly (shocker), and that he wanted me to know that he does take into consideration viewers view points. He informed me that everything on network channels, including commercials, are viewed by a group of people who have to approve everything before it is broad casted. Interesting. He also said that that commercial was put on by the national Fox, and not his local Fox, which makes since b/c it was aired during American Idol. So, some of the things broad casted he doesn't not have control over. He did say that his station does choose to not buy and air certain episodes of shows if they seem too offensive. He mentioned King of the Hill. He also said that he has seen shows like soap operas that air during the day that he thinks are a little racy and that kids could be home during the day to see that. I said, true, but soap operas are primarily adult shows, where as American Idol is a family show. I told him that it grieves me today that so much of TV is centered on sex and how it is always in your face even if you don't invite it in. I gave him the example of the Victoria Secret commercials, how I would never invite a girl in my living room wearing just a bra and panties, yet every time I turn on the TV that is, in essence, what I am doing, and that is what I did when the Hulu commercial came on. Like I said, he was very nice and respectful. He said at the end that he values view points like mine, and in the future when he is making decisions he will remember the Emily Russ' in the world. Felt pretty good to hear that!!!! Guess my little drop in the ocean fell on the right ears. Not that anything will change I presume (well it could if we all wrote letters...), but it is good to be heard and to stand up for what is right. I thanked him many times for calling me. All in all, I feel heard... now... let's see about contacting the National Fox network who DID choose to air that commercial...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Emily - I applaud you and thank you for taking the time to take a stand! As a parent, I am very concerned about issues with the media these days. We don't watch any TV shows, but it's frustrating that our little boy can't watch a basketball game with us without seeing a Viagra commercial (but don't even get me started on those horrible drug companies)! Anyway, thanks for what you've done.
way to go Emily!
Thank you Emily. This is a great example for all of us
Post a Comment